East girls tennis team competes and doesn’t give in

E-Rab ladies take first place at East Aurora tournament on September 30. All girls in the East tennis team took home a first or second place medal.

photo by Scott Schemel

photo by Scott Schemel

Karen Arias, Snapchat editor

The E-Rab tennis girls are more competitive this year than they have ever been in the past five years, according to Scott Schemel, head coach.

“Without a doubt we’ve had some success with medal winning and total team efforts that placed us with a very strong second place finish at Jefferson, Woodstock fourth out of seven teams and champions of East Aurora. We’re coming there and finishing higher than we ever have in the past,” continued Schemel.

The Jefferson Quad and Woodstock are tournaments played by points where every point matters.

“We’ve always preached that every point matters and to never give up. Our number two doubles was a perfect example of it.Final score in their last match was 8-5, but if they would have ended with 8-4 then they wouldn’t have gotten second place. They had a 2-3 record and won because of the amount of points,” said Schemel.

Jasmina Singmouangthong, number two singles, placed second at Jefferson, first at Woodstock and East Aurora.

“In the moment of time it wasn’t real, it still isn’t, but I felt overwhelmed that I was able to win first place and prove those schools that E-Rabs aren’t the underdogs. I felt proud to be part of East tennis team,” said Singmouangthong.

Singmouangthong is proud of herself as much her teammates are too. Teammates Ed Dah and Heh Bu Nyau, number two doubles, mentioned they were proud of themselves for winning their first medal ever, but especially proud of Singmouangthong for placing first at both tournaments.

“I felt proud of getting third place at Woodstock because it is our first time getting a medal and we tried hard,” said Nyau.

“Throughout all the tournaments there have been some teams that are better, but the E-Rab ladies always try to compete at their level instead of giving up,” mentioned Annalie Roecker, number one singles.

The E-Rab girls tennis team is different than others as most of the team is made up of newcomers that don’t know much about tennis.

“We’re different than other teams, most of them have played for many years. We never give up and I love to have a lot people in the team. Even when we lose, we stay happy. We cheer teammates up when they’re feeling down. We support our teams so they can do better and hopefully win their match,” said Nyau.