• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

Teen sequel Tuesdays: I Love You, Beth Cooper (2009)

Talia Johnson, Opinions editor

“ You’re not alive unless you’re livin’”, Rich Munsch.

For now on I will begin trying to do more than one Teen movie Tuesday a week and I will compare similar teen movies as well. With that said, let’s get started on the very first double entree. I Love you, Beth Cooper directed by Chris Columbus released to theaters on July 10th, 2009. A film adaptation of the novel of the same name written by Larry Doyle.

This film is about a geeky Valedictorian named Denis Cooverman (portrayed by Paul Rust) who confesses his love for his high school’s head cheerleader, Beth Cooper (portrayed by Hayden Panettiere), in front of his peers, their parents, and the faculty. Infuriating Beth’s meathead boyfriend, Kevin. Denis and his friend, Rich Munsch, invite Beth and her friends, Cammy and Treece, over for a party at Denis’s home which is totally destroyed by Kevin and his fellow meathead friends once they track Beth’s whereabouts and decide to confront Denis and Rich. Before Kevin and his minions can abuse the two, Denis and Rich make a quick getaway with Beth, Cammy, and Treece in Beth’s car.

This is the start of the movie. This is where their adventure begins. The plot of this film is superb and is easy to follow along to. The dialogue is great and hilarious. This movie truly embodies what I look for in a teen movie from start to finish. I want the characters I have to be with for over an hour to go on an adventure that they wouldn’t dare to go on even the day prior. I want something to spring into life in them on said adventure and I want them to come back as a new and improved version of what left their parent’s house the night before. This movie holds a special place in my heart for that exact reason because its care-free and invincible characters are now capable of holding the moon, the sun, and the stars. It’s absolutely inspiring to see this in any teen movie. I’m sure it’s what drives me to love them as much as I do. Hopefully, this film impacts you as much as it did for me.

“ Thank you…for loving me”, Beth Cooper.

“ What’s not to love? You remember that”, Denis Cooverman.