• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

Teen movie Tuesday: Sixteen Candles (1984)

Talia Johnson, Opinions Editor

This week, we’re reviewing yet another classic. Sixteen Candles directed by John Hughes.
One of the most notable directors/writers in teen movie history. The late John Hughes is responsible for The Beethoven franchise , The Home Alone franchise, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off , The Breakfast Club, and Weird Science. The film was released on May 4th, 1984, which means this film will be turning thirty-four this friday. This film is iconic and referred to in popular culture quite often.

This film is centered around a teenage girl named Samantha Baker (Portrayed by Molly Ringwald) whose birthday is the day before her sister, Ginny Baker (Portrayed by Blanche Baker) has her wedding. Because of this, her family actually forgets Samantha’s sixteenth birthday.
For Samantha, this is only the tip of the iceberg of the embarrassment she’ll be experiencing that day. From having her crush , Jake Ryan (Portrayed by Michael Schoeffling) who is a senior and a total dreamboat, find out that she likes him to having some freshmen geek named Ted Farmer (Portrayed by Anthony Michael Hall) selling photos of her underwear to other underclassmen. Sam has an eventful day. Sam is supposed to be your typical shy, artsy, normal girl who isn’t geeky but isn’t popular. I think her character heavily resembles Stacy Hamilton in the 1983 film “ Fast Times at Ridgemont”. Samantha doesn’t end up as experienced as Stacy does in the end of her film, thankfully, but she does have the shy, naive traits as Stacy. This movie was one of the first to set the mold into the teen movies we know today. The raunchy young adult comedy “American Pie” (1999) definitely took some notes from this film.

Molly Ringwald would later go on to starring in two other John Hughes teen films: The Breakfast Club (1985) and Pretty in Pink (1986). Each movie I enjoy goes greatest to least.
So, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club , and finally, Pretty in Pink.

About the Writer
Talia Johnson, Opinions Editor

12th grade
1st year in newspaper
Section Editor
controversy blogger
"I feel like what's right"