• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

A letter to sophomores: Why you need to take your junior year seriously

Madie Miller, Copy Editor

You may have heard from others that junior year is the hardest year you will face in high school. I used to believe they were wrong, and that junior year would be a breeze– It definitely was not a breeze, it was the hardest school year I’ve faced yet. Based on past experiences from my junior year, whether they were good or bad, here’s a list of what you should focus on:

1. Be mindful of your class selection

Some people wait to take their third science class their senior year, but I wasn’t one of those people. Because I took my science class my junior year, I can take an hour off next year, and have a shorter school day. If you want a shortened schedule your senior year, I’d recommend to get your three year classes (except history) out of the way. However, make sure you look into the college you would like to attend, some of them require four years even though your school may require three.

2. Time Management

Junioritis is definitely a thing, and what I thought would be an easy year turned into a stressful nightmare. Time management was definitely a skill I learned this year between taking AP classes and other electives such as Newspaper and Yearbook. While it was great to challenge myself with difficult classes, I felt the stress after only a month into the school year because of my choices, one of them being to stay up until 2 a.m. instead of doing homework right after school.

1. SAT Prep

The PSAT exams you take your freshman and sophomore year are nothing compared to the actual exam. Unlike the other exams, the real SAT also requires you to write an essay, something that I did not practice on. I attended SAT Prep at Guilford High School four times, and it actually helps you raise your SAT score. However, they don’t practice essay prompts with you. Although it doesn’t prep you for everything, I’d recommend that test prep to everyone. You pay a $20 fee, they feed you Famous Dave’s for lunch (which is really good, might I add), and if you attend four or more sessions, you get a $50 gift card. They pay you to be there. If you don’t want to attend an SAT Prep class, your school may give you an SAT book filled with practice tests and essay prompts. You can also find practice essay prompts online. Trust me, practicing for the SAT will pay off.

1. Start looking into colleges

If you plan on attending college after you graduate high school, I’d recommend getting ahead of the game and begin looking into colleges. You need to find a college that is right for you. Visit the colleges that interest you, ask questions, talk to students who attend the specific college you’re looking into. If you can’t physically visit the school, most colleges offer a virtual tour on their websites. Don’t wait until your senior year to visit. If you start looking into colleges late, you’ll be stressed out between finding the right college for you, making the application deadlines, applying for FAFSA, etc.

About the Writer
Madie Miller, Copy Editor

11th grader
1st year in newspaper
Copy Editor
"I chose these positions because I love to write, and I really love to edit things and challenge myself"