• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

East football player sets a new record

TayVeon+Lake%2C+class+of+2020%2C+shoots+down+the+field+past+the+Indians+in+an+attempt+to+score+a+touchdown.+The+E-Rabs+lost+against+the+Indians+49-20.+%0A%22The+coaches+pushed+me+to+reach+for+more+and+they+motivated+me+to+keep+on+going%2C%22+said+Lake.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

East football player sets a new record

TayVeon Lake, class of 2020, shoots down the field past the Indians in an attempt to score a touchdown. The E-Rabs lost against the Indians 49-20.

TayVeon Lake, class of 2020, shoots down the field past the Indians in an attempt to score a touchdown. The E-Rabs lost against the Indians 49-20. "The coaches pushed me to reach for more and they motivated me to keep on going," said Lake.

photo by Madie Miller

photo by Madie Miller

photo by Madie Miller

Ermilo Sanchez, Reporter

The East E-Rabs varsity football team had an amazing season. Many talented players helped the E-Rabs make it to the playoffs, but one player stood out the most. Starting varsity running back, TayVeon Lake, beat East’s single season rushing record with a staggering 1,635 yards, passing the previous record of Chris Appleton’s 1,461 yards in 2006.

“Beating the record was a major accomplishment for me. I have worked so hard for this and to finally hear that I have beaten the previous record, that was huge,” said Lake.

Lake beat the record late in the third quarter in the playoff game against Simeon Academy, making him the lead rusher in the NIC-10. Even though the E-Rabs lost against Simeon 46-0,  Lake has already started to plan for next year’s season.

“I think it is cool he is already asking me what he can do to get better,” said Greg Nelson, running back coach. “He worked so hard to beat the record.”

With the season over and off-season training coming soon, Lake plans to beat his own record next year during his senior season.

“I am gonna do what I usually do. I want my senior year to be a memorable one where I beat my own record and be the lead rusher of the NIC-10 again,” said Lake.

Everyone has to wait to see how Lake will perform his senior year in the 2019 football season. With Lake already starting to improve and working to become a better player, there is no doubt he will be the best running back in the NIC-10.

“I believe he will have a chance to be the top running back in the NIC-10. There are so many variables involved for that to happen. But I know this, he will be a better player walking into the first game in August than when he walked off the field in Chicago,” said Nelson.

photo by Madie Miller
“The coaches pushed me to reach for more and they motivated me to keep on going,” said Lake.

About the Photographer
Madie Miller, Copy Editor

11th grader
1st year in newspaper
Copy Editor
"I chose these positions because I love to write, and I really love to edit things and challenge myself"