• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

East’s head soccer coach named NIC-10 Coach of the Year

Greg+Fiorucci%2C+head+soccer+coach%2C+talks+to+the+varsity+soccer+team+at+half+time+of+their+game+against+Jefferson.+The+E-Rabs+were+up+2-0+at+half+time%2C+and+defeated+the+J-Hawks+5-0.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Greg Fiorucci, head soccer coach, talks to the varsity soccer team at half time of their game against Jefferson. The E-Rabs were up 2-0 at half time, and defeated the J-Hawks 5-0.

photo by Mosa Alshoja

photo by Mosa Alshoja

photo by Mosa Alshoja

Madie Miller, Print Editor-in-Chief

photo by Mosa Alshoja

Greg Fiorucci, head boys soccer coach, led his team to a record-breaking season after finishing 7-2 in the conference and placing second, right underneath Boylan.

“The team played together as a team this year more than we have in the past. We’ve had a lot of individuals that have been good players, but they just didn’t play as a team. You had to mix all of the nationalities together to get them to play as one group. Sometimes, that’s not easy,” stated Fiorucci. “Trying to get them adapted or adjusted to our way of playing the game has opened my eyes a little bit more to understand what some of the kids have gone through in the past.”

The E-Rabs haven’t placed in the top two of the conference in the last three decades.

“I believe the last time we placed second in conference was 1987 when superstar Coach Jess Wilson was on the team,” added Fiorucci.

After leading his team to secure the second place spot, Fiorucci was named the 2018 NIC-10 conference Coach of the Year.

“It’s nice to be named Coach of the Year, and it’s nice to be recognized for what you do and how the team plays. Being Coach of the Year is not just about what I have done, but what the team has done,” said Fiorucci.

To the varsity soccer team, Fiorucci was not only their coach, but someone who brought the team together as one.

“He deserved it. We became a family this year and it made us one of the better teams in the conference. The way he emphasized us as a team made us bond better. He knew when there was a time to joke around, and he knew the time to work,” said Vincent Christidis, team captain.

To Fiorucci, he wouldn’t have received this award without the head coach position he was given years ago at East.

“I’ve always wanted to stay involved in sports, and being a coach is something I really wanted to do. I’ve been lucky throughout the years that I’ve had the opportunity to do it,” said Fiorucci.

Fiorucci  not only led his team to a historic season, but through his coaching gave three of his varsity players the ability to be named First-team All-Conference and one player to receive special mention. Leonard Ngongo and Roberto Davila, class of 2020, and Poe Reh, class of 2019, all received First-team All-Conference. Francisco Zaragoza, class of 2019, received special mention.

Preparing for next season, Fiorucci doesn’t feel under pressure after receiving Coach of the Year. Instead of caring about where they place in the conference, Fiorucci focuses on one game at a time.

“We’re just going to go into next season like we did this season: play one game at a time, and hopefully have good results. Our goal is to be competitive like we were this past season. We’re all about wanting to win game by game. I would like us to be successful. Sure, we’re going to shoot for first place, but we’re just going to take it one game at a time,” said Fiorucci.

About the Writer
Madie Miller, Copy Editor

11th grader
1st year in newspaper
Copy Editor
"I chose these positions because I love to write, and I really love to edit things and challenge myself"