• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

The Edge of Eighteen: Mental Health

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US for all ages as of today, and every day approximately 123 Americans die by suicide according to Save.org

Suicide and depression are both very sensitive topics to talk about, and I feel like they aren’t talked about enough. People tend to be more reactive than proactive in these types of situations. Why is that? Every high school in the U.S should have a organization for those who deal with depression and suicidal thoughts.

How do we feel comfortable talking to a complete stranger about our issues? How do we explain our problems to them if they might not be going through what we’re personally going through? These are the questions that should be answered to help those in need, go along with that, depression is another huge issue that high schools don’t talk enough about or bring awareness to. Depression is more than just sadness, it takes over how you think, feel, and your daily activities. It feels as if you’re empty and apathetic, which can completely take over your mind; it makes you feel hopeless and insecure as your energy decreases and you lose your appetite. Depression varies from person to person, but there are common signs and symptoms that can be the same. About 20% of all teens experience depression before they reach adulthood. High school brings so much pressure that can lead to severe depression in teens including getting good grades, having friends, doing well in a sport, joining a club, etc. High schools needs to bring better awareness to their students so they can feel safe and open to talk to anyone instead of holding it all in (which can make depression worse).  “We have trained people to assess these types of situations,’’ said Dr. Lodak, principle of HS

In my opinion, it’s like people don’t want to know how you feel. Some people ask you to express your feelings but they don’t mean your actual feelings; they mean the feelings that they want you to have. Because people can’t deal with dark or scary or weird, they want you to smile and say, “Yeah I’m fine everything’s great.’’ Then, they can go on with their lives and never think about you again. Should we be thinking about this? No we shouldn’t, we should feel comfortable to talk to our counselors and therapists. We are so concerned about getting through today without a  hint of care for tomorrow and that feeling completely breaks me.

“Here at East we have 10 different people in the building that is trained to help,” said Dr. Verona, principal.

For help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255. Available 24 hours every day