Sully’s Cinematics: The beautiful Sam Raimi trilogy

Sully Reilly, Reporter

If there are any good Marvel movies in this world, it would have to be the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy. It is my favorite superhero trilogy ever. I watched the first Spider-Man recently and absolutely loved it. The CGI and practical effects were well done for the time (2002). The CGI looks a little unrealistic compared to the movies that come out today, but it is still enjoyable. The plot is a classic Spider-Man story. It is very well executed. Willem Dafoe plays Norman Osborn (Green Goblin) and is an overall great villain. Tobey Maguire (Spider-Man) seems a little too old to be playing a senior in high school in the movie, but it still does not take away from the story. I think all the actors in the movie played their parts well. The movie is just overall great.

Spider-Man 2 was also a fantastic movie. Spider-Man’s enemy in this movie was Doctor Octopus (Alfred Molina). He also had a great story and was played extremely well. In this movie Tobey Maguire fits more into his role since he isn’t playing a high school student anymore. My only criticism on this movie is Mary Jane. I feel like she could’ve been written a little better into the story. It feels unnecessary and is written in a way to just give Peter Parker a conflict, which could’ve been done in many different, better ways. Spider-Man 2 is definitely a great movie and I would recommend it to anyone.

Then there is Spider-Man 3. It is perfect if you mix in a little bit of irony. The whole movie was not executed well. There were too many villains mixed in the movie, making it feel too cluttered. The storylines with each villain felt very incomplete and rushed, especially Venom. He should’ve had a whole Spider-Man movie to be a villain in, instead of sharing one with Sandman and Harry Osborn. Venom teaming up with Sandman felt very out of place since they are totally different from one another. It just doesn’t feel like much substance. Spider-Man 3 is ironically good because of how ridiculous it is, not because it is a good movie. It still is extremely enjoyable, though.

Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy is my favorite trilogy of superhero movies. It is was a groundbreaking movie trilogy for the time, since it was basically the first real film adaptation of Spider-Man. Any time you can, rewatch them. You might’ve missed something.