• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

Someday is now

Hailey Hunter, Social Media Director

On April 2, women all over the world advocated for Equal Pay Day. This was started in 1996 by the National Committee on Pay Equity. Women in all different areas of work and athletics are still fighting to close the pay gap between men and women. On average, women make 20 percent less than men. According to payscale.com, the average median salary made by men and women with the same job qualifications in a controlled gender pay gap environment is a woman makes 98 cents to every man’s $1. In an uncontrolled environment, a woman makes only 79 cents to every man’s $1. And when it comes to women of other races, they are paid even less than those who are white and not receiving equal wages.

“If a man and a woman have the same job and do the same things but one gets paid more based on their gender, that’s wrong. Times have changed, everyone should be equal no matter what race or gender they are,” said Sydney Kuhnau, class of 2020.

Many careers are affected, but the most advocated side of gender pay gaps, are between men and womens sports. For example, the United States Women’s National soccer team is a huge voice for equal pay. The USWNT is ranked as the No. 1 team internationally, has won three World Cups, four Olympic gold medals and plenty of other tournament championships. As for the men’s national team, they have never won a world cup, the last championship they won was the 2002 Gold Cup and they didn’t qualify for the 2018 Men’s World Cup. Yet even though there is this great difference between the two teams accomplishments, the gap between the two teams world cup roster bonus is $31,250, and that’s just the bonus. According to an article written by Graham Hays on espn.com, “A comparison of the WNT and MNT pay shows that if each team played 20 friendlies in a year and each team won all 20 friendlies, female WNT players would earn a maximum of $99,000 or $4,950 per game, while similarly situated male MNT players would earn an average of $263,320 or $13,166 per game against the various levels of competition they would face. The lawsuit further cites the women’s three World Cup titles, four Olympic gold medals and the 2015 World Cup title game being the most-watched soccer match in American television history. The USWNT has also been ranked No. 1 in the world for 10 of the past 11 years.”

“It’s unfair. A lot of people claim that it’s because mens sports are more interesting and that’s  why they receive so much praise, but in many cases it’s actually the women who perform better. For example the gaps between the USWNT and USMNT, or in the olympics there is that United States 4×1 womens relay team that kills everyone but probably gets paid less regardless. All in all, these gaps need to be filled because it’s not sending the right message to future generations,” said Jamie Ward, class of 2020.

The USWNT filed a lawsuit for gender discrimination against the U.S. Soccer Federation in March of 2019. Though the U.S. Soccer Federation has not changed anything since the lawsuit, on April 2 a step to change was made. LUNA Bar, a branch of the nutrition company Clif, has been known for supporting and empowering females all over the world. LUNA Bar is partners with the U.S. Women’s National team and came together to start a movement on Equal Pay Day to show their continued support for women. On April 2, LUNA Bar announced to the 23 players on the USWNT World Cup roster that they each would be receiving the additional $31,250 which is the bonus difference between the mens and womens team. LUNA Bar is paying the athletes and filling this gap.

Simply filling that minor gap is paving a way for women and girls all over to continue fighting for their equality. Though soccer has had a large voice in the issue, they are not the only ones in the battle. There are unfair gaps just like these between other athletic organizations such as the NBA and WNBA, and most other professional level sports. It is important for not only female athletes, but all women to know that these wages are unfair and it is up to us to inspire and fight for the equality women rightfully deserve. The time is now, we can’t keep waiting for “someday.”

About the Writer
Hailey Hunter, Social Media Director

"Newspaper gives me a chance to express an opinion, write about things I enjoy and keep up with what is going on in school."