Weight room lifts to another level

Zach Mosley, Reporter

As many know, most schools have a class for weight-lifting. East High School’s Scott Greenfield, one of two Strength & Conditioning teachers, took it further. For each of the max-out lifts, they are put on a chart. Even if you do not lift much, no need to worry it is based off pound-for-pound. So, it is four of the main lifts: bench, deadlift, power cleans, and back squat all added into one total weight, then divided by your weight in pounds. 

Between the students, max-out charts give a picture of a boy and a girl who had the most total weight. Generally speaking, the more weight you lift, the stronger you are. The goal is obviously to get stronger, either for yourself or sports. 

“For the girls, it’s always the same names, but for the boys, I guess [charts get competitive],”  said Jenny Martinez, class of 2020. 

The top ten are the only people that go onto the board. There are not any honorable mentions, though there are honorable mentions for the 1000 pound club. The people that usually make the boards strive to attempt to get as high as possible (generally all guys, so it does sometimes lose motivation for others).

Strength is not like a normal Physical Education (P.E) class. Each day, whether you are there or not, you have to be there to receive your ten points, or twenty on Workout Wednesdays. The grade you receive is mostly based off of effort. Unlike the regular P.E. classes, you cannot get points for walking.  

“Yeah, 100%.” said John Sandberg, total Weight champion, class of 2020 when asked if he thinks the charts get competitive.