Students discuss the length of winter break

Natali Cuevas, News Editor

For the 2019-2020 school year, E-Rabs noticed that winter break seemed quite short.

Winter break this year occurred from Dec. 23 to Jan. 1. This allowed for students to have only eight regular school days at home. After, students and teachers had to return to school for only two days, which caused some backlash. 

“I wasn’t necessarily as rested and refreshed as I have been in years that we’ve had a longer break” said Karissa Wrasse, Graphic Design teacher.

The two days back to school were dreaded by E-Rabs. Some felt restless and thought that it was pointless coming back.

“We came back for teachers so they could get paid so might as well bring the teachers and keep the students at home,” said Salma Thabet, class of 2020. 

Fellow E-Rabs felt that the two days back should have just been for teachers and that students should have been allowed to stay home. 

However, Camila Rivera, class of 2020, believes teachers deserve the extended break too. 

“My dad’s a teacher. I don’t see him very often because he’s mostly in school or grading student’s papers. I kind of, you know, want to have bonding time with my dad,” said Rivera.

Spending time with family is something that both staff and students look forward to but were somewhat disrupted due to a shortened break.   

Another issue that both students and teachers faced was that they did not have enough time to travel.

“In the past I have but because of the shortened break, I did not. Usually, we would go visit Florida to visit my grandma, but this year we didn’t have that opportunity,” said Wrasse.

However, E-Rabs and the rest of RPS 205 should expect an extended winter break for the 2020-2021 school year. Winter break can be expected to be two full weeks. It will be from Dec. 21 to Jan. 1.