• March 6March 24 - April 2 - Spring Break

Erin’s Law

Kaitlin Swick, Nikolas Bowers, and Sam Paraggua

East’s Erin’s Law presentation was Wednesday, Feb. 15th at the beginning of the day, with a shortened assembly schedule that followed.

Every six minutes, a child is sexually assaulted in the United States, according to erinslaw.org. This is what Erin’s Law tries to get out to people. On the official website, it requires that all public schools in each state implement a prevention-oriented child sexual abuse program which teaches:

• “Students in grades pre-K–12th grade age-appropriate techniques to recognize child sexual abuse and tell a trusted adult
  • School personnel all about child sexual abuse
  • Parents & guardians the warning signs of child sexual abuse, plus needed assistance, referral or resource information to support sexually abused children and their families,” says the official website.

Erin Merryn, a sexual assault survivor, began to channel something positive about her past to help others to know how to speak out against sexual assault. According to Erin’s personal website, www.erinmerryn.net, there are three million children in America who are survivors of abuse. This is roughly enough to “fill 46 NFL stadiums.” The video posted on Sept. 4, 2015, describes the struggle and journey she went through titled “A Voice for the Voiceless.” Erin’s law is passed in 26 states, pending in 17, and they are pushing for all 50 states to pass. Illinois State Senator Tim Bivins was the first to advocate for this law and helped Illinois become the first state to pass Erin’s Law on Feb. 14, 2011, according to the website.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, as described by erinslaw.org, and helps with hotlines to help sexual assault victims. Erin Merryn speaks frequently at schools to give her presentation on how to report sexual assault and realize the warning signs in others. The website lists warning signs that can be seen in anyone. Erin’s Law is an issue that is pushing to help child abuse, or any form of abuse, and continues to push for preventing the statistics from worsening.